Monday, July 11, 2011

A whole new world...of food

At Elliot's 4 month well checkup, the Dr suggested that we start introducing solids in her diet to boost her weight and extend her nightime sleeping. We were thrilled, especially Tim! Now Daddy could have a role in feeding! When I was pregnant, we decided when the time came we would make our own baby food. I had read some good articles and blogs about homemade baby food and decided it was for us. Here are the following reasons why(in no particular order):
  • It's fun!
  • It's way cheaper. 2 bananas made 8 servings which cost 78 cents. Gerber's 2 pk of bananas cost $1.20.
  • It's healthier. You control how the food is made so you can make sure the peak nutrients are in each serving. Prepackaged foods are factory made and assembled quickly so some nutrients are lost. Also, prepacked food is made to stay on the shelves and in your home for awhile, which means they are packed with preservatives and unnecessary additives.
  • It tastes better! Have you ever tried some of those baby foods? Yuck! If it doesn't taste good to me, why would I serve it to her?
There are more reasons why we are making her baby food, but I'll get off my soap box now :) So that night I made rice cereal (rice, water, breast milk) and Tim and I did the age old dance called "getting the food in the baby's mouth." She liked the spoon, but not what was on it. So we skipped rice cereal (there is no nutritional reason to start with it and it made her constipated) and moved onto avocados. These were a hit! Tim and I enjoyed yummy guacamole, while Elliot ate up all her pureed avocado. The next food introduction was bananas. I had a feeling she would love it since it was sweet. Well she didn't disappoint! Elliot became a baby bird dutifully opening her mouth and squealing for more. Here is a picture of when we finished:
I think our next food adventure will be peas. Since she loves the sweeter foods (don't we all), I'll save those for later to make sure she develops a pallet for veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment