Friday, January 7, 2011

A little time to rant...blame it on the hormones

Why do strangers and women I barely know think it's ok to tell me about every little freakin' thing they know about pregnancy?! Do I want to know about how you powered through labor without drugs? No, I am perfectly ok with my decision to get an epidural. Do I want to know about how I better breastfeed? No, I'm already planning on that. Do I want to hear about your neighbor's baby who died from SIDS? Absolutely not!

Here is how a recent interaction went with a coworker I hardly know because she is part-time and awful so I try to avoid her...

I reach for a croisont at our monthly staff breakfast
Her: Are you eating healthy?
Me: (laugh) Yes, for the most part.
Her: (looking at my breakfast choice) Well you really should.
I reach for a single donut hole.
Her: You know, if you eat too much sugar the baby will be allergic to a lot of things.
Me: Uh huh
I reach for some fruit (which I was already planning on eating)
Her: Yes, the baby can have terrible skin if you eat too much sugar.
Me: Uh huh
By now I'm trying to walk away
Her: Are you going to have a natural child birth?
Me: ( polite laugh) No, I plan on having an epidural.
Her: Oh no, you should have a natural one. I did and it was fine. You should too. It's what is best.
I decided she was not going to take a hint, so I just walked away.

It is crappy people like that who make pregnancy sometimes a drag. I am not a walking poster of "Come talk to me about something very personal." I love being pregnant! But I hate everyone's two cents that comes with it!

PS- This does not pertain to the women I love and care about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment